Published on September 3, 2019

How to build a carport, deal with city, contractors and keep your daily coffee group routine

By Edward A. Forbes / The Bulletin

At the conclusion of Part 1, Scott Albert, city manager of Angleton, had notified me that the Board of Adjustments would hear my application for a variance on the city’s 25-foot setback.

The big day arrived, and I dressed in a clean, comfortable pair of shorts and a clean comfortable shirt (this outfit it seems is a standard dress code for retired men). I presented myself at city hall council chambers at noon, and the board members were arriving.

The Board of Adjustments is comprised of five members and two alternates. They are volunteers that try and weed through the many requests for variances and adjustments to city code. They make a recommendation to city council. They are the first line of defense or the first fence to hurdle, depending on your point of view. I think they are essential to maintaining the quality of a neighborhood along with zoning to have a uniform development of the city, but I digress.

The meeting was called to order. Comments were made as to my sartorial resplendence, and then my request was reviewed. The chairman, Marian Goff, complimented me on my lengthy application and further commented that she started printing it out, but ran out of paper. The variance was granted, and my permit was granted. I was elated!

I dashed home and called the local broker with the news. He told me to come in, and we finalized the paperwork for building the project. I received a call from the sub-contractor the next day, and we went over the specs again.

They had length and width reversed. Good thing I caught that. Bummer. This would be bad news because it would affect the variance and make the carport 3 feet narrower. That would affect getting out of vehicle without banging into the other vehicle under the carport. That would not be very practical.

The subcontractor told me she would call back after clearing with designer. Pins and needles after all this time, and now another snafu to deal with.

The following day they called, and the price was adjusted by a $200 increase. I agreed, and we were off to the races. They scheduled installation for a Tuesday. It would serve as birthday present to me - from me.
Monday morning, as I was having breakfast at the local coffee shop with the other members of our “Table of Knowledge,” I received a call. They had a problem with another installation and would like to come that day instead of Tuesday.

I happily agreed, and she told me they would call 30 minutes before they arrived. I finished breakfast and went to G&G convenience store for a second morning visitation with a group consisting primarily of retired teachers. We talked of Astros, Texans, A&M and of travel. After we had exhausted our knowledge of the day, I went home. I took off my shoes and started reading the paper, Then the doorbell rang. Surprise, it was the construction crew!

I mentioned that they were supposed to call 30 minutes prior to arrival. They were lucky that the G&G bunch solved all the world’s problems early that day.

He apologized. No matter, I was glad to see them. The next hurdle was the measurements, again. The 20 feet width was a little wider than the driveway. We anchored one side to the driveway and the other with 3-foot-long anchors and proceeded with installation. In a little over 2 hours, the doorbell rang, and I was greeted with: “Would you like an eagle or a star on the carport?”

Soon, I was inspecting a star-adorned spanking new carport that looked great against the house. I put the balance on my credit card (get those points) and bid the crew a friendly farewell. My journey was complete.

(Send comments by email to editor John Toth at john.bulletin@gmail.com. Or send regular mail to The Bulletin, P.O. Box 2426, Angleton, TX 77516)