Published on May 12, 2020

Future mommy diaries

Photo by Eric Rodriguez

My stormy
during this
and a wet
patio chair



By Stephanie Johnson / The Bulletin

Either my water broke, or the patio chair cushion was dry on the outside and soaking wet on the inside. Should I get my bag? Am I going into labor?

Panic and excitement set in. The baby could come now without any problems, but it sure would be nice if he waited to be born after his baby shower. How is this birthing thing supposed to go down, anyway? Asking for a friend who is a first-time mother-to-be during the biggest worldwide pandemic since 1918.

I’m currently in my ninth month of pregnancy. It’s my first child. I’m not sure what to expect. My doctor keeps telling me to have my bags ready for the hospital and to be prepared. The baby can arrive at any time now. But the question is, how will I know when the baby is ready to enter this world? How did the water get on the cushion? I was getting nervous.

I recently had my growth ultrasound to check and see how the baby was growing. The ultrasound technician calculated him at six pounds eight ounces, and I still supposedly had another month of pregnancy left - maybe.

My husband, David, and I looked at each other with excitement and panic as we thought of all the things we still have to do to prepare for the baby’s arrival. Was this cushion soaked by me, or did the weather throw us a curveball? We needed more time. But this was not to be determined by me. The baby comes when he is ready. Was he ready?

I called my parents. My mom told me about her experience. What? Your water broke in the hospital? Dad was getting breakfast in the cafeteria, and they had to call him? It was over in two hours? Some of my friends were in labor for 12 hours. That doesn’t seem fair.

I wonder which scenario I’ll be treated to? But what if my water already broke? Which direction should I turn? Get my bag, or get a mop?

There was a huge wet spot in the middle of the patio chair cushion. It wasn’t there when I sat there originally, and I didn’t notice anything the whole time while sitting down.

We smelled the spot. It was odorless. Then we sat on the rest of the cushions; they were all dry. It had rained two nights ago, so it could be from the rain - or it might not be. Mom read from an Internet site that when the water breaks, it doesn’t have an odor. Rain water doesn’t have an odor. That’s no help. This was the only cushion that was wet, and it was exactly where I was sitting.

I wasn’t having contractions and didn’t feel anything. We came back outside about 20 minutes later, and the spot was dry.

David tested out the spot, and when he got up, his entire bottom was wet. His water must have broken, too. Mystery solved. I was not going into an undetermined period of labor yet. No need to rush to start gathering my things and head for the doctor’s office or hospital - yet.

I learned my lesson. During the remainder of this pregnancy, I will avoid that cushion. I will probably never sit on that cushion again - at least not until it completely dries, and someone else tests it. I would rather stand for hours than sit on that cushion right now, after the cruel joke it played on me.

But the experience was a good dry run, in a wet sort of way. Relief.

(You can reach Stephanie at stephanie.bulletin@gmail.com. Or by writing to: The Bulletin, P.O. Box 2426, Angleton, TX. 77516)